Thursday 5 May 2005

Untold Legends

I finally got my copy of Untold Legends, and it is good. You'll enjoy it if you like Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance, or Champions of Norrath, or Dungeon Heroes style action RPG. It's an action button masher make no mistake. From my brief play, it seems to give you a lot of cool equipment up front, like weapons with specials and trinkets to enhance your armour, way before it feels like you should be earning those sort of things as loot. I mean I've got some modifier runes installed on the rough patchwork stuff I was given when I started the adventure at level 1! From the few bosses I have encountered it still seems like the game can present a challenge. But it just feels a little wrong to have a level 2 alchemist wander about with a glowing and shimmering double headed axe.

The classes seem a bit odd, Knight, Beserker, Druid and Alchemist. They all rely on melee a lot, even the Alchemist, with casting really only providing support damage to the melee. I guess in the single player game, then you're going to have to melee more often than not, simply because you have no-one to stand at the front and take the damage, whilst you waggle your fingers. Tried a Druid too, although again at these levels I'm guessing melee figures big in the only way to progress.

The graphics are excellent, and you can zoom close in for some hot boss action, or pull out to watch the horde fall. The play areas seem a little too small, but dungeons tend to consist of lots of these small rooms interconnected, with a boss at the end. Some story, enough to get you to the next quest boss.

The action is non stop, frenzied fun though. This is the definitive action RPG game your'e going to get on a handheld for a while, nearest thing you'll get to it though, is the Lord of the Rings diablo-fest on the GBA. And if you're comparing the two, theres no comparison.

If only my fat hands wouldn't ache so much using that bleeding analogue PSP thumbtack. Why they situated it at the bottom of the console, so that youre like pinching the handheld and twiddling your thumb in small circles is beyond me. I'd have much preferred it if they'd have swapped the d-pad with the thumbtack, since most of the games I have use the tack.

No comments:

Post a Comment