Monday 10 December 2001

Devil May Cry

I grabbed this yesterday. Mainly because I had an £8 GAME voucher burning a hole in my pocket and the terrible realisation that Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance doesn't look like its going to hit the shelves over here till after christmas. Now I like the idea of a red velvet glad goth boy slaughtering the undead with a God of a sword and twin
rapid fire pistols. The graphics look nice and crisp something Crapimusha couldn't boast). I can live with the "alone in the dark" camera tracking - only just - it seems to handle it better than aforementioned "musha" product - although there is still a lot of "distance play" - I guess to give the game a bit of scale this has to
happen. At least no climbing stairs/opening doors loading cut scenes.

But you can't get away from the fact that its got RE breeding. You can't shake that feeling that you are playing a cool idea trapped in the body of a dire genre (my thoughts on the RE series being well known). I'm hoping theres less of the shite puzzles and more of the kill em action, with progression, rather than just endlessly spawning monsters in the same couple of areas. Theres some cool moves, shooting whilst jumping backwards, reminiscent of max payne a bit as you hang in the air - matrix style. I wanted to like this game so much. I wanted to block out the capcom RE influences. But as I began to get stuck - traversing the same corridor - over and over again - meeting
the same monsters over and over again - endlessly spawning - getting more and more frustrated I am starting to get that Onimusha feeling. I'm feeling cheated again...

Admittedly, I haven't played it much at all. Give it about an hour. I will take it by the horns and see if it develops much more - I want to be an action packed red gothchild of hate. But I'm not prepared to put up with tat game mechanics for a few bursts of action.

No comments:

Post a Comment